More than 400 people in the U.S. die from unintentional carbon monoxide poisoning every year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. More than 20,000 visit the emergency room, and more than 4,000 others are hospitalized.

Everyone knows that carbon monoxide detectors save lives but are they the landlords responsibility to install and maintain with fresh batteries during the year?

In this article we will answer this question and provide you with tips on how your tenants can avoid a death from carbon monoxide in your rental property.

What Does The Law Require In California?

  • In California, the law requires the installation of approved detectors in single-family dwellings, including rental properties.
  • In Oregon, the law actually prohibits landlords from renting residential properties with a carbon monoxide source unless an approved carbon monoxide alarm is properly installed.
  • In Virginia, the carbon monoxide detector law specifically prohibits a tenant from tampering or removing a carbon monoxide detector from the property, but allows any tenant to install a detector in a rental unit if the landlord has not done so.

What Is Carbon Monoxide?

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless, and tasteless gas. This gas is produced whenever you burn something. Without help from technology, it’s undetectable by humans.

Typically, carbon monoxide poisoning comes from faulty venting in heating systems or using heaters indoors that were designed for outdoor-only use. To keep it simple, if it burns, it can produce carbon monoxide.

What Are Some Signs of Exposure?

If you are fortunate enough to escape death, be aware of these signs of carbon monoxide exposure: vomiting, dizziness, headaches, and general confusion.

When a carbon monoxide detector goes off, open some windows to air out the house and get everyone outside. If it’s obvious where the contamination is coming from, address it if you can. However, if you are uncertain or you don’t feel safe, call 911 for immediate assistance. Don’t go back in the house until the fire department gives you the clear.

Source – Bigger Pockets

Contact 36 North Property Management

For more property management tips, or to learn more about the property management services we can offer you, contact us today by calling (831) 484-4604 or click here to connect with us online.